ST. MARTIN´S CHURCH
A Baroque structure built in 1672–1691. A Romanesque (and later Gothic) church originally stood here, established in the first half of the 12th century by Bishop of Olomouc Jindřich Zdík. In 1707–1708, the church was restored and a new tower, an oratorio and a choir built. The church was restored and enlarged in 1889.
The ancient bell in the church tower bearing the name Noon-Bell ("Poledník") is of a peculiar conical shape, without decoration, with merely an inscription reading “O rex gloriae veni in pace”. It is not dated, but its shape and the type of lettering indicate that it dates back to the beginning of the 13th century, making it probably one of the oldest in Moravia.
The staircase to the tower’s bell loft was restored in 2012 and the lookout built offers a remarkable view of the whole of Blansko and the surrounding area.
A monument to Caroline Meineke, the first wife of King of England William IV, can be found near the church. The period of Caroline’s life spent in Blansko is also commemorated by a rosarium set in the shape of the initials of her name.
GPS: 49°21'36.715 N, 16°38'18.823 ETours of the church tower:
during the holidays
July–August TUE–SAT 9.00 a.m.–12.00 noon and 1.00–4.00 p.m.
SUN 1.00–4.00 p.m.
SAT 9.00 a.m.–12.00 noon and 1.00–4.00 p.m.
SUN 1.00–4.00 p.m. (only by prior arrangement)
Tours outside the given times may be arranged by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
, tel. +420 608 780 034Address:
Římskokatolický farní úřad
678 01, Blansko
tel.: +420 516 418 633, +420 608 405 email@example.com