The delightful Renaissance chateau is the highlight of Blansko. A number of distinguished personalities have lived here, such as the doctor and archaeologist Jindřich Wankel and the Austrian writer Ferdinand von Saar. The most famous personality associated with Blansko Chateau is Caroline Meineke, wife of the future King of England William IV and heroine of an ancient tale of unrequited love.
The chateau is now home to the Town Museum, whose exhibits reflect the tradition of the iron industry and the production of artistic castings in Blansko. Its historical interiors and documentation on the history of research in the Moravian Karst are also of considerable interest.
The chateau stands on the site of an original Gothic feudal court mentioned in sources in the 14th century. The building has four wings with a rectangular inner courtyard with pillared arcades. The chateau’s Renaissance appearance dates back to the beginning of the 17th century. It was built in 1604–1605 by Jan Žalkovský of Žalkovice. It has undergone numerous alterations since that time. In 1695, the Gellhorns built the chateau tower and clock, while the interior layout was altered during the time of the Salms in the 19th century. General repairs to the chateau were performed in 1969 with the aim of restoring the purity of the building’s Renaissance style.
The last restoration of the chateau courtyard was completed in 2012 and gave rise to new expositions in the form of an exhibition of cast-iron sculptures, the Chemical Laboratory of Baron Reichenbach, the Discoverers of the Moravian Karst, and the Castles of the Blansko Region.